Samsung’s Galaxy S sequence made its debut on June 4, 2010, and since then it’s develop into the telephone line most individuals consider when Android is talked about.
Not all telephones are created equal although, so to mark a decade of Galaxy S gadgets we thought it will be a enjoyable concept to rank every technology so as from worst to finest. We tried to steadiness the vital and business reception with the precise significance of every telephone(s), the options and specs on supply, and our personal intestine emotions. We’ve additionally determined to solely stick with the mainline releases, so which means no entries just like the Galaxy S20 FE and Galaxy S4 Zoom.
Associated: Greatest Samsung Galaxy offers
It goes with out saying that that is all for a little bit of enjoyable, your opinions might differ! It’s additionally value remembering that many of those telephones are among the many finest the smartphone world has ever seen — being the worst of the perfect remains to be fairly nice. With all that stated, make sure to vote on your favourite Galaxy S sequence within the ballot under and provides us your individual rankings within the feedback!
For a extra detailed take a look at the historical past of Galaxy S telephones, make sure to learn our retrospective right here.
12. Samsung Galaxy S6
2015’s Galaxy S6 was a notable launch for a few causes. It marked the vary’s first foray into the glass design territory popularized by the iPhone. It additionally noticed Samsung match Apple by way of pricing technique, having typically been cheaper than the iPhone till this level. However the Galaxy S6 takes the wood spoon in our rankings as a result of it reduce or compromised so many options seen on the Galaxy S5 with a view to obtain this design. That meant no IP score, no detachable battery, no microSD assist, and a a lot smaller battery.
- Premium design
- Exynos 7420 chipset was a beast
- Nice digicam
- Fingerprint reader that wasn’t horrible
- Native wi-fi charging (no particular case required)
- Tiny battery
- No IP score
- No microSD enlargement or detachable battery
11. Samsung Galaxy S
The telephone that began all of it, the Samsung Galaxy S (or Galaxy S1) appears laughable now if you take a look at the specs. A 1Ghz single-core chipset, 512MB of RAM, a 4-inch 480 x 800 display. However this was just about nearly as good because it bought within the early days of Android, and it actually was early. The largest downsides have been the uninspired design, gaudy software program, and lack of a digicam flash.
- Nice browser again when Chrome wasn’t on cellular
- Pretty much as good because it bought by way of core specs
- No digicam flash
- Battery life wasn’t improbable
- Boring design
10. Samsung Galaxy S2
Between the early nature of Android on the time and a common lack of polish, the Samsung Galaxy S1 fell simply shy of greatness. Samsung’s second try in 2011, however, delivered the most effective Android telephones thus far. The Galaxy S2 supplied a sturdy design, detachable battery, an OLED display, and brisk internals. An achieved, vital step in Samsung’s ascent to the highest of the Android world, the one cause it isn’t larger on this checklist is that Samsung US and its community companions created so many variants (Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Contact, anybody?) that discovering a real Galaxy S2 (the GT-I9100) was an virtually Sisyphean job.
- Rear digicam may compete with iPhone lineup
- 2MP selfie digicam when VGA or 1.3MP was the norm
- Vast number of video codecs
- OLED display was fairly nifty
- Mediocre battery life
- A ton of variants that created market confusion
9. Samsung Galaxy S4
The Galaxy S4 wasn’t simply Samsung’s hottest Galaxy S sequence telephone, it’s additionally the very best promoting Android telephone of all time. However it additionally felt just like the second the place Samsung jumped the shark. The primary offender right here was TouchWiz, as Samsung usher in a ton of bloatware and took an “every thing and the kitchen sink as effectively” method to its personal software program additions. Do you actually need web page scrolling by way of a head tilt? Or the power to create a 5.1 encompass sound system with six telephones? That’s to not say that it didn’t have any attention-grabbing software program additions, like “bothies” (sure, method earlier than Nokia) and Drama Shot, however be trustworthy, did you ever use even these novel options greater than as soon as?
- Detachable battery with microSD card slot
- Good daytime image high quality
- Nice show
- Bloated Android pores and skin with many gimmicky options
- Principally Galaxy S3.1 by way of design
- Low-light picture high quality paled compared to HTC One
8. Samsung Galaxy S20
It looks like for each couple of positives concerning the Galaxy S20 sequence, there’s a detrimental. You’re getting a ton of options usually, spectacular hybrid zoom (and periscope zoom on the Extremely), a beautiful 120Hz OLED display, 5G, good battery life, and 8K recording. However you’re additionally getting a hefty price ticket (from $1,000 to $1,400), gimmicky 100x House Zoom, no correct telephoto digicam on the S20 or S20 Plus, and a tackle One UI that’s beginning to undergo from function creep like Samsung skins of previous. That is additionally the primary Samsung Galaxy S sequence that utterly ditched the headphone jack. Boo. However, these are nonetheless among the finest premium telephones of 2020, and are worthy entries in Samsung’s ongoing smartphone dynasty.
- Class-leading screens
- 8K recording with the power to extract 33MP frames
- 120Hz refresh charge
- Versatile cameras
- Good battery life
- Disappointingly costly pricing
- Massive efficiency hole between Snapdragon and Exynos variants
- Zoom capabilities have been overstated
- No 3.5mm port
- No Galaxy S20e
7. Samsung Galaxy S21
Robert Triggs / Android Authority
Samsung’s 2021 flagships go a great distance in direction of fixing the place the S20 sequence went unsuitable, however there are just a few main missteps too. The Galaxy S21 sequence is $200 cheaper throughout the board, beginning at $800 for the bottom S21 all the way in which to $1,200 for the S21 Extremely. The Extremely mannequin is the star of the present right here although, that includes two zoom-focused cameras (3X and 10X), S-Pen assist, and a most important digicam that doesn’t undergo from main autofocus points just like the S20 Extremely. The sequence does have just a few downsides, because the S21 has a plastic again whereas the S21 and S21 Plus each lack QHD+ screens. All three telephones additionally ditch the in-box charger, microSD enlargement, and don’t assist ultra-fast charging. Nonetheless, the worth drop mixed with an upgraded Extremely mannequin appears to have resulted in large preliminary gross sales progress within the US.
- Good screens with excessive refresh charge
- Nice image/video high quality
- Cheaper than S20 sequence
- Two zoom cameras on Extremely mannequin
- S-Pen assist for S21 Extremely
- Exynos chipset narrows hole to Snapdragon SoC
- No microSD card slot
- S21 and S21 Plus ditch QHD+ screens
- No in-box charger
- Plastic again for Galaxy S21
- S21 and S21 Plus don’t see digicam/charging/battery modifications over final 12 months
6. Samsung Galaxy S9
The Galaxy S9 was basically the Galaxy S8.1, which in flip shared some DNA with the Galaxy S7. It featured an identical glass design to the Galaxy S8, with plenty of inner specs staying the identical too. The Galaxy S sequence bought a dual-camera setup for the primary time, however this was restricted to the Galaxy S9 Plus. Different upgrades embrace native 960fps slow-motion recording, dual-aperture most important cameras, and AR Emoji. The telephones typically took a comparatively protected method at a time when rival Huawei dropped the modern P20 Professional, and we noticed loads of extra inexpensive flagships too. If we have been simply taking into consideration the Plus mannequin, it’d rank above its direct predecessor, however as it’s, the Galaxy S9 sits in a decent place within the sixth spot.
- Tremendous slow-mo may very well be cool
- Fingerprint reader was in a extra handy location
- Holy trifecta of a 3.5mm port, IP68, and wi-fi charging
- Commonplace Galaxy S9 was gimped (no secondary rear digicam, much less RAM)
- Design was an evolution of S8, which wasn’t an enormous change over S7
- Battery measurement didn’t see a rise over S8 sequence both
- Twin aperture function was attention-grabbing, however an evolutionary dead-end
5. Samsung Galaxy S8
The Samsung Galaxy S8 was the primary with Bluetooth 5.0, type of.
2017 noticed the overwhelming majority of telephones adopting an 18:9 display ratio or larger. The Galaxy S8 household was no exception. It delivered loads extra attractive OLED display whereas nonetheless feeling straightforward to carry. Samsung’s early 2017 flagships additionally noticed the debut of a wide range of options, reminiscent of DeX, the Bixby voice assistant, the much-maligned Bixby button, and an iris scanner that wasn’t as horrible as many thought it was going to be. The identical can’t be stated of the rear fingerprint scanner, nevertheless. How did anybody assume that sticking it subsequent to the digicam was a good suggestion? However, after a tough few months following the exploding Be aware 7 debacle, the Galaxy S8 sequence was a well timed reminder that Samsung was nonetheless the highest canine.
- Improved picture high quality attributable to multi-frame picture processing
- Improbable design
- DeX genuinely introduced a PC-like expertise to the desk
- 3D Contact house button was an excellent alternative for a bodily button
- No twin cameras when rivals had it for a 12 months
- Bixby button couldn’t be remapped at first
- Fingerprint scanner location was terrible
- Common battery life
4. Samsung Galaxy S3
The Galaxy S/Galaxy S1 might have began the sequence and the Galaxy S2 might have proven us that Samsung’s digicam group may compete with Apple, however the Galaxy S3 was the excessive level for the agency’s first few flagships. The Galaxy S3 delivered an attention-grabbing plastic design, a retooled, nature-themed TouchWiz UI with just a few neat options (Good Keep to maintain the display on, a popup video participant), and speedy internals. Taken collectively, you had the vary’s first actual iPhone killer by way of each gross sales and general high quality.
- Highly effective internals
- Detachable battery and microSD assist
- Nice digicam
- Some helpful software program additions
- TouchWiz UX not as clean as many different Android skins
- Plastic design didn’t really feel as premium as steel or glass
3. Samsung Galaxy S10
2019’s Galaxy S10 household had one thing for everybody, from the extra inexpensive Galaxy S10e to the Galaxy S10 Plus with all of the bells and whistles, and even a souped-up 5G mannequin. This something-for-everyone method resulted in among the finest Galaxy flagships ever. It additionally marked the primary 12 months of Samsung providing a number of cameras on all gadgets, a long-overdue transfer when the likes of LG, Huawei, and Xiaomi had twin cameras or extra for a few years already. Toss in slick punch-hole designs, the debut of the One UI pores and skin, and lovely OLED screens, and there was so much to love right here.
- Versatile digicam setups on all fashions
- Class-leading OLED screens
- The Galaxy S10e with its nice specs and worth
- Final Galaxy flagships with headphone jacks
- IP68 score and wi-fi charging
- Cameras good however not nice (particularly at evening)
- 15W charging is sluggish in comparison with most rivals
- In-display fingerprint scanner was hit-and-miss
2. Samsung Galaxy S5
Was 2014 the very best ever 12 months for smartphones? Whether it is, then some credit score has to go to the Galaxy S5, which noticed Samsung bringing its A sport. The Galaxy S5 was the primary mainline Galaxy flagship with water resistance, but it surely didn’t come on the expense of a detachable battery or microSD assist. This was additionally one of many first Samsung telephones with 4K recording (following the Galaxy Be aware 3). Moreover, the telephone’s real-time HDR functionality was an excellent addition at a time when HDR images on most telephones was nonetheless a sluggish, blurry mess. The one huge disappointment was the swipe-based fingerprint scanner, which paled compared to the iPhone 5S’s touch-based scanner. A beloved telephone that simply misses out on the highest spot by a hair.
- Water resistance
- Detachable battery and microSD assist
- Nice picture high quality with real-time HDR
- Swipe-based fingerprint scanner wasn’t as intuitive as touch-based scanners
- MicroUSB port requires a plastic flap to seal towards water injury
1. Samsung Galaxy S7
One of the best Galaxy S sequence of all-time addressed all the Galaxy S6 sequence’ obvious points, and boy did it repair so much. Larger batteries? Test. Water resistance? Yep. MicroSD enlargement? Certainly. In any other case, the Galaxy S7 sequence additionally delivered a equally succesful 12MP most important digicam, 240fps slow-mo (matching the iPhone), and speedy internals. A high vendor and a textbook case of significant evolution and never simply iteration for iteration’s sake, the Galaxy S7 additionally served because the antithesis of the iPhone vary on the time. All hail the Galaxy S7.
- Water-resistant design
- Wi-fi charging
- MicroSD enlargement
- Nice picture/video high quality
- Glass design simply attracts fingerprints
- MicroUSB when main rivals switched to USB-C
That’s it for our Samsung Galaxy S sequence rankings! Do you agree with the order? Tell us down under.