Muggings at ATMs are all too common. Despite cameras and other surveillance, it’s a relatively easy target to find an unwitting victim and order them to withdraw as much money as possible.
That’s why it’s essential to always be on your guard.
This video of an ATM robbery gone wrong – or right – comes from Brazil, where ATM muggings are an epidemic.
The thief approaches the victim in the blue shirt. Little does the mugger know, the victim is a military police officer – who is also armed.
The mugger comes up next to the officer and pretends to begin a transaction. He then announces the robbery and shows his gun to the officer. After delaying and eventually finding a distraction, the officer reacts and shoots the robber six times, killing him.
The victim was officer Pedro Henrique Batista, a captain in the military police. Here’s a quote from him – translated from Portuguese:
“I took advantage of the moment he stepped away and the entrance of a third client, which made him divert attention, and plundered the weapon. As part of our procedure I verbalized “Police! In floor! In floor!” Only immediately did he come up to me with his hand at waist level. So I had no choice but to carry out the shots. I can not even tell how many shots I fired. I have done enough for him to cease his action and fall to the ground, “he says.
The video – from the good folks at “Active Self Protection” shows the entire incident, along with some sage advice when encountering the same situation.
Here are a few wise pieces of advice from the experts:
- There’s a well-worn joke that ATM stands for “Accessory to Mugging,” and it’s not far from the truth. The ATM is of course a likely place to be attacked because it is a transitional space. A mugger can easily ambush you if your attention is engrossed in the machine, and they are built to allow for easy access and escape. When you’re at the ATM, be sure to be extra aware of what is going on around you. I even suggest standing with your back to the machine, or at least with your shoulders perpendicular to it so that you can constantly see what is happening around you!
- Part of your training must be knowing when to use verbal commands, and when to abandon verbal commands and move to physical or deadly force. Many times self-defenders (and LEO) get caught in a loop of issuing the same command repeatedly to no effect. Using verbal commands is an important part of your force options training, and part of that training in verbal commands is knowing when to talk and when to stop talking and act. If you read the news story here the officer gave verbal commands but they were ignored.
- As well-meaning as police officers are, they cannot protect you from danger. As the old adage says, “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!” You—and ONLY you—can protect yourself from danger when it comes upon you. A police response time of 5 minutes is considered perfectly acceptable in most suburban departments, and times upwards of 30 minutes can be the norm in rural areas! You need to have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from harm because the police simply can’t.
- If you have a firearm out, distance is your friend. A firearm has a functionally infinite range in a deadly force encounter. (yes, I know, that’s not 100% true…for the purposes of a self-defense fight, it is functionally true) If you are at contact distance to someone you have a firearm aimed at, you give them the ability to fight you for your firearm and negate the advantage you have. Therefore, if you have a gun on someone, stay out of range of their hands if at all possible!
- It is critical to know not only how to shoot from the “press out” position, but also from high compressed ready and from retention. Being able to shoot from a high compressed ready as well as from retention are vital skills for all self-defenders to have, because drawing the firearm and using it when there is a threat within arms-length means not pressing it out to use it effectively. You must have the ability to use it in close quarters without endangering your firearm.
Like us on Facebook – USA Liberty News