Both former President Barack Obama and President Trump have been regular travelers, who oftentimes use the Air Force One to get places. However, according to the U.S. Department of the Air Force and the Secret Service, there are two main differences in the way the two Presidents travel.
Truthfully, thank God for the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)- the only way the public can get close to information of this sort. Yes, the Presidential spendings are kept under the radar…big time.
Obama’s travel records were acquired from the Secret Service, thank s to a 2017 FOIA lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Here are the official data from Obama’s travel expenses:
- A pair of Obama family vacations the weekend of February 14, 2014, cost the Secret Service $272,192.91:
- Michelle Obama’s annual trip to Aspen with her daughters – where she shut down the airport for an hour – cost $6,970 in air/rail, $5,614.99 in car rentals and $76,078.30 in hotels for a total of $88,663.29
- President Obama’s annual golfing trip to Palm Springs included a meeting with Jordan’s King Abdullah II and cost $10,951 in air/rail, $10,166.79 in car rentals and $162,411.80 in hotels for a total of $183,529.62
- Michelle Obama made two North Carolina trips in 2016 to campaign for Hillary Clinton. Air Force expenses total $40,902.40. In both trips, she took a C-40C military jet operating at $5,312 per hour.
- Michelle Obama flew to Charlottesville then to Raleigh on October 4 for 2.1 hours at a total of $11,155.20
- Michelle Obama flew round trip to Belville and then Salem on October 26 and 27 for a total of 5.6 hours at $29,747.20.
Judiciary Watch filed another individual FOIA lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia for the Air Force and Secret Service travel expenses for Trump and his family. Initially, the records by the Air Force and Secret Service indicate that Obama’s Chicago sprees cost the economy $7,444,780.78.
Here is what those records showed:
- During fiscal year 2015, Obama flew 9 hours at an operating cost of $206,337 per hour for a total of $1,857,033
- During fiscal year 2016, Obama flew 5 hours at an operating cost of $180,118 per hour for a total of $900,590
- During fiscal year 2017, Obama flew 6.2 hours at an operating cost of $142,380 per hour for a total of $882,756
- Secret Service records show a total of $3,804,401.78 in costs between 2011 and 2016 for the Chicago trips. The Secret Service spent $3,372,399.07 in hotels, $423,428.28 in car rentals and $8,574.50 in miscellaneous expenses.
Additionally, Obama’s travel arrangements made after he was done int he White Office, cost the economy $1,913,702.21, divided as follows: $936,742.56 in hotels; $159,393.40 in air/rail; $2,684.11 in car rentals; $819.70 in overtime; and $814,062.44 in miscellaneous expenses.
- President Trump flew to Mar-a-Lago to meet with China’s President Ji Jinping between April 6-9 for 4.1 hours at an operating cost of $142,380 per hour for a total of $583,758
- President Trump flew to Mar-a-Lago to celebrate Easter between April 14-16 for 3.8 hours at an operating cost of $142,380 per hour for a total $541,044
- Judicial Watch obtained Air Force records through an FOIA request showing that President Trump’s visits to his Bedminster, NJ, golf resort and a Pennsylvania rally cost $603,107.40: President Trump flew to a rally in Harrisburg, PA on April 29 to celebrate his 100th day in office. He flew 1.1 hours at an operating cost of $142,380 for a total of $156,618;
- President Trump flew to the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, NJ between May 5-8, where he tweeted that he was saving money by not going to New York and causing a disruption. He flew 1.5 hours at an operating cost of $142,380 and .7 hours on a C-32A military jet at $15,994 for a total of $224,765.80;
- President Trump flew to Bedminster between June 9-11 for 1.4 hours at an operating cost of $142,380 per hour for a total of $199,332 and;
- Melania Trump flew to Bedminster July 14–16 in a military C-32A jet for 1.4 hours at an operating cost of $15,994 for a total of $22,391.60.
Information on travel costs about whichever President need to be made available to the public, without Judicial watch interfering and filing lawsuits each time they need to look into these records.
Like us on Facebook – USA Liberty News