The feud between President Donald Trump and Morning Joe hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski escalated further Friday morning when the television personalities accused him of trying to blackmail them.
Writing for The Washington Post, the duo appeared to suggest that when the Trump administration informed them earlier this year of a damaging story the National Enquirer intended to run about them, it had been part of a plot by the president to blackmail them into begging for his assistance.
“This year, top White House staff members warned that the National Enquirer was planning to publish a negative article about us unless we begged the president to have the story spiked,” they wrote. “We ignored their desperate pleas.”
Scarborough expounded further on this claim Friday on Morning Joe.
“We got a call that, ‘Hey, the National Enquirer is going to run a negative story against you guys,’” he said. “And it was — Donald is friends, the president is friends with the guy that runs the National Enquirer. And they said, ‘If you call the president up and you apologize for your coverage, then he will pick up the phone and basically spike this story,’” Scarborough said.
“I will just say, three people at the very top of the administration calling me … I don’t know what they have. Run a story? I’m not going to do it. The calls kept coming. And kept coming. And they were like, ‘Call. You need to call. Please call. Come on, Joe. Just pick up the phone and call him.’”
“And let me explain what they were threatening, Brzezinski said. “They were calling my children. They were calling close friends … And our response talking to my ex-husband, talking to Joe, talking to my kids was screw it, let them run it. Just go ahead and run it, we’re not calling.”
Following their allegations, President Trump took to Twitter to refute their statements, claiming that the opposite had occurred.
“He (Joe Scarborough) called me to stop a National Enquirer article,” the president wrote. “I said no! Bad show.”
Scarborough responded within minutes of Trump’s tweet, claiming he has texts from Trump’s top aides and phone records to prove his allegations.
Watched low rated @Morning_Joe for first time in long time. FAKE NEWS. He called me to stop a National Enquirer article. I said no! Bad show
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 30, 2017
Yet another lie. I have texts from your top aides and phone records. Also, those records show I haven’t spoken with you in many months. https://t.co/TZWiElo6Gs
— Joe Scarborough (@JoeNBC) June 30, 2017
The feud initially erupted Wednesday when, after the hosts reportedly mocked the president, he blasted the couple in a pair of tweets that immediately elicited outrage from both the media and Congress.
Like us on Facebook – USA Liberty News
What do you think? Scroll down to comment below.